Rebecca Burger died in the freak accident.
AN INSTAGRAM STAR and well-known fitness blogger has died in a freak accident after a pressurised cannister used for dispensing whipped cream exploded, hitting her in the chest, her family has said.
Rebecca Burger, who had a large following on the social media site, where she posted regular pictures of herself promoting fitness products, was killed in eastern France in what the family said was a domestic incident.
“It is with great sadness we announce the death of Rebecca who died the June 18th, 2017 in an accident in the home,” read a statement on Burger’s Instagram account, signed “The grieving family”.
Another post included a photograph of a dispenser, which has a small pressurised cannister, alongside a warning not to use similar devices.
“Here is an example of a whipped cream canister that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, resulting in her death,” the post read.
“Do not use this kind of utensil in your home! Tens of thousands of defective devices are still in circulation.”
Voici un exemple de siphon à chantilly qui a explosé et percuté le thorax de Rebecca, entraînant son décès. Précision : le siphon qui a engendré sa mort quant à lui été mis sous scellé. N'utilisez pas ce genre d'ustensile chez vous ! Plusieurs dizaines de milliers d'appareils défectueux sont encore en circulation.
A police source confirmed the death to AFP. Officers have opened an investigation.
Her death comes after two similar accidents in France in 2014. Neither resulted in death.
France’s National Consumer Institute (INC) had already issued a warning over the same type of cannister saying the plastic lid may not be able to withstand pressure from carbon dioxide inside.
© – AFP 2017